Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Now is a bad time to write.

With a busy, multimodal life, this is a typical excuse.  
My sophomore year at Ball State I took Cathy Day's novel writing course, and that forced me to find time to write every week, something that helped me make significant progress.  Unfortunately, as a double major, I sometimes have semesters without any writing classes, and frequently it can be "hard to find time."  
Undoubtedly, there are specific conditions under which I prefer to do my writing.  Sitting in an open meadow surrounded by indian paintbrush at 8,000ft with a clear view of snowy peaks would be one.  
But in this way, writing can be a bit like advice I once heard about having children.  If you wait until you're ready, it's never going to happen.
For a Ball State creative writing major, English 425 (special topics in creative writing) is a required class.  And while there are a lot of special creative writing topics I would love to explore, the English department only offers limited options.  Cathy Day's course on literary citizenship I had heard about, and it seemed the more interesting of the two (I think the other was something about poets).  
As much as I don't use social media and know that perhaps I won't always enjoy the class, I think it will be a good learning experience and will help me in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment