Thursday, April 3, 2014

Three quick tips for job interviews

I’ve never done a legitimate job interview.  Neither of my majors put any focus on interview preparation either.  But thanks to my literary citizenship class, I had the opportunity to do a practice interview on campus.  Here are three quick bits of advice:

Be early.  

I got there about fifteen minutes before my appointment, and my interviewer came to get me less than thirty seconds after I walked into the room.

Set yourself apart. 

Interviewers are sorting through any number of candidates, likely with similar qualifications.  Make sure they remember you, in a good way.  For me, it was a personal connection to the company, and how their work had influenced my interest in the area.

Bring questions.  

This shows them you mean business, you came prepared, and allows you to find out what you want to know about the company.  They spent the last hour interrogating you, now it’s your turn.
Me before my practice interview.  (Bonus advice:  dress up!)

1 comment: